Thursday, December 16, 2010
Toad in the Hole recipe (via Jamie Oliver) Yum!
• sunflower/canola oil
• 8 large good-quality sausages
• 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
FOR THE BATTER
• 1 1/4 cup milk
• 1 cup plain flour
• a pinch of salt
• 3 eggs
Mix the batter ingredients together, and put to one side.
Put just under ½ inch of oil into a baking pan, then place this on the middle shelf of your oven at its highest setting (475ºF). Place a larger tray underneath it to catch any oil that overflows from the tin while cooking. When the oil is very hot, add your sausages. Keep your eye on them and allow them to colour until lightly golden.
At this point, take the tin out of the oven, being very careful, and pour your batter over the sausages. Throw a couple of sprigs of rosemary into the batter. It will bubble and possibly even spit a little, so carefully put the tin back in the oven, and close the door. Don't open it for at least 20 minutes, as Yorkshire puddings can be a bit temperamental when rising. Remove from the oven when golden and crisp.
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Now you can read our e-books on Apple mobile devices! All you need to do is login to your account on the JCLC downloadable webpage with your library card, get Adobe editions software on your computer, pick out your e-books and download it and transfer it to your favorite Apple device. Here's how:
1. On your computer, download Adobe Digital Editions and create an account. Authorize the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) program with your Adobe ID. ADE will act as “home base” and authenticate your eBooks.
2. On your Apple device, download the free BlueFire Reader app (iTunes App Store) and create an account.
3. Launch BlueFire Reader. Tap “Info” and authorize the app with your Adobe Digital Editions ID.
Download an e-book:
1. On your computer, open a browser, go to the JCLC downloadable website and log in.
2. Find an e-book (Make sure it is epub, not mp3!). Click "download". A dialog box will open, select “Open with Adobe Digital Editions”. This will download the .epub (the actual book) file to your computer. The eBook will appear in ADE.
3. On your computer, locate the .epub file in the (My) Documents/My Digital Editions folder (or the equivalent on a Mac). Send yourself an email, with that .epub file as an attachment.
4. On your Apple device, check your email.
5. Tap on and hold the attachment’s icon until the fly-out menu appears which says “Open with BlueFire Reader”, then select it. The attachment’s icon will change to the BlueFire Reader logo.
6. The BlueFire Reader app will now launch and you can start reading! Once the checkout period has expired the file will deactivate from your device and your computer desktop.