Monday, March 28, 2011

Hidden Gems - Diana Wynne Jones


I was sadden to read today that British fantasy/science fiction author Diana Wynne Jones had died from Lung cancer at 76.  Although she is not a popular author at the moment in this area, she does have a huge fan base.  One of her most well-known books, Howl's Moving Castle, was made into a movie by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away/ Ponyo) in 2004.

It wasn't until about 6-7 years ago, that I discovered her books.  In fact the movie, is really what got me into her books.  The movie was good, but the book was wonderful and since then I have been trying to catch up on the worlds I missed out on as a youth.

As I wandered through our library catalog, I noticed these fantastic gems had check out very few times in the past year, and yet the recently bought e-books were very popular.  So, I challenge you to discover or rediscover this author and the amazing, award winning worlds of Howl, Chrestimanci and Fantasyland!

No comments: